I’ve been nominated for a Liebster Award!
Thanks to elianasin for nominating me! You can find them over at The Written Opinion, where they review books (instead of just snarking them like me). It’s a good time and worth checking out.
Anyway, let’s get this party started!
- Thank the person/people that nominated you by providing a link to their blog in your Liebster Award post
- Give 11 random facts about yourself
- Answer the 11 questions from the blogger/s who nominated you
- Nominate 11 other blogs that have 200 followers or less
- Ask your nominees 11 questions of your own
- I really do hate John Green.
- I write fanfiction, mostly about children’s shows/movies/books. I’m a bit of a woman-child, I guess.
- I cannot cook to save my life, aside from tossing a chicken boob in a frying pan and heating up box dinners.
- I am currently addicted to the computer game Town of Salem. It’s like online Mafia. I am cayaway, so you should friend me if you play. And you should play.
- I tried to wear heels a few weeks ago and absolutely destroyed my leg falling down a hill. It was pretty nasty and hurt like hell, and proved once and for all that I’m not feminine.
- I love thunderstorms, rainy weather, and cloudy days. My eyes are really sensitive and I despise the heat, so I’m actually not a big fan of the sun or summer.
- Grapefruit can be eaten like an orange. It’s messy but so worth it.
- My favorite poet is probably Shakespeare. How cliché, right?
- Othello is Billy Shakes’ best play, and anyone who says otherwise is not worth your time.
- I have a tendency to give weird nicknames to people (see: Billy Shakes). My parents have finally accepted that I will continue to call them “Marmy” and “Dadoo” well into middle age.
- I love video games, but am terrible at them. To deal with this contradiction, I watch a lot of streams and Let’s Plays. I’m partial to Rooster Teeth, because those guys are just a lot of fun.
What is your least favorite book and why?
I’d have to go with The Last Witchfinder. Shockingly inept, historically inaccurate, offensively bad writing . . . our main female character becomes the smartest scientist in the world and has sex with Ben Franklin. And fights pirates. During the Salem Witch Trials. Also a book falls in love with her. None of that is a joke.
I plan on doing a Cover to Cover on that one sometime, when I have the strength. It’s without a doubt the worst novel I’ve ever read.
What book have you reread the most?
Gotta be the Animorphs series; I’ve reread that one pretty much every 5 years since elementary school. Coming up close behind are A Series of Unfortunate Events and Misery.
What do you always look for in a good book? (great plot, character development etc.)
I need good characters. They can literally be sitting around doing nothing, but if I like them I’ll enjoy the book. They don’t have to be likable — Dangerous Liaisons is one of my favorite novels ever, and those two are human garbage — but they have to be compelling.
I mean, the really great stuff tends to encompass all of these. But yeah, characters will make or break a story for me. Then I can start noticing and appreciating the unique structure or the intricately-crafted plot or whatever.
If you could meet any author (dead or alive) who would it be and what would you ask them?
Stephen King. First, I’d tell him how much I love him. Then I’d ask him why he keeps writing the same alcoholic author with daddy issues. Then I’d apologize and ask for a hug, because even with his flaws, he’s a really good writer.
What book prompted you to love reading?
I’ve loved books since before I could read, so I can’t really answer this one. According to my mom, when I was a toddler I’d ask people to read to me, then bring them stacks of 20 books and make them sit through them all. I was like a tiny, adorable Venus flytrap.
What is your favorite TV show?
Friends. It’s not a perfect show, but it’s still hilarious, I like everyone in it, and it’ll always be my comfort show.
(Hot on its heels: Arrested Development, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Animaniacs!)
If your house was one fire what is the one thing you’d save?
My laptop. Those things are expensive, bro.
What book has changed your perspective on something, made you think twice about something or passionately moved you?
I gotta be cliché again and go with the Bible. I don’t always like the ways it moves me, but it’s a powerful book.
What books are you desperate to get your hands on right now?
THE NEXT BOOK IN A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE! I don’t watch Game of Thrones because I love the books too much and they keep making my favorite characters rapists for no discernable reason, so the only way I’m going to get the rest of this story is if the man finishes the series before he dies.
Please, George. I need this from you.
If you could write your own book what would it be about and why?
I actually hate writing novels, because I’m not a world-builder. I like playing in worlds other people create and trying not to mess up the continuity. Fanfiction is kinda like crawling around in a soufflé: you can mold things however you’d like, but if you change too much the entire thing will collapse around you.
Favorite type of ice cream?
Vanilla. Though if you’re offering, I’d really prefer sorbet. Raspberry or lemon, if you wouldn’t mind.
Now It’s Your Turn!
I need to nominate people with fewer than 200 followers, huh? That’s tricky, because most of the people I follow are either mad popular or don’t list their followers. So I’m gonna probably have to bend the rules a little bit, and if you have more than 200 followers just suck it up and do the fun thing:
- A Clueless Guide to Edinburgh
- A Day in the Life of an Awkward 20-Something
- A Year Without College
- The Almost “Unwritable” Perspective
- Amanda Hutchinson
- Graceful Follower of Christ
- Infinite Passion/Rachael’s Books
- Read and Survive
- The Giddy Owl
- The Pied Piper Calls
Now go answer my questions and be full of joy!
Questions for My Nominees:
- What song can you not stop listening to right now?
- Who’s your favorite fictional character? Could you beat them in a fight?
- What are you most impatient for at this moment?
- Take your favorite book — or a book you like a lot – and turn its title into a porn parody title. (If this is sacrilegious or otherwise makes you uncomfortable, just do some sort of spoof. I’m lenient; mostly I want creativity and bad puns!)
- Remember that favorite book above? Describe it in less than 200 characters.
- Would you rather be made of paper or of beef wellington? Defend your decision.
- Word association time! I say “all,” you think . . .
- When was the last time a book made you really angry?
- Do you wish you read more? Why don’t you?
- What was your most recent Google search?
- Giving yourself 1 minute and no cheating, how many states (in the U.S.) can you name?
Have fun, and be sure to let me know when you do them so I can read your answers!